Saturday, May 10, 2014

Biting the Bullet

Okay. Enough already. I DO want to get my work out there in the world, and I finally stumbled upon just the right book to tell me how to do it! It's Show Your Work by Austin Kleon.


Bought it last night at Pegasus Books, and of course the first thing Austin says to do is to share my process via the internet. Daily. So, here goes...


Well, first of all, I'm now working on THREE graphic novels. I can't seem to just settle on one, partly because I have six more graphic novels already being worked on in my head, and I just gotta get them out. Anyway, the latest one is about my journey being an elementary school teacher. It's also the first one in which I've finally discovered a process that really works for me. 

With Stella I just drew directly (with Sharpie and India ink) on paper, scanned the drawings into Photoshop, and now do some touch-ups and quite a bit of redrawing. At least with A Donkey in the Garden I drew it all out in sketches and scanned them into Photoshop, but I also spend A LOT of time redrawing. 

But with this teaching graphic novel (the title hasn't come to me, yet), I said, "To hell with redrawing on computer!" Now, in a journal, I write down exactly what I want to say and how I want to say it. I work out a few thumbnail sketches, too, before going onto the next step of the process.




No comments:

Post a Comment