Sunday, June 1, 2014

Old Tools and New Skills

Had a productive day today! I got an idea from Ellen Forney, the illustrator for The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. At the end of the book, she talks about her process of working with Sherman Alexie, and she tells what her drawing tools are. It's very important to me to hear what other artists use for drawing. I enjoy seeing how we're all different as well as alike. So, I thought I'd share my drawing tools that I'm using for the teaching graphic novel.


I took the photo after I'd finished inking the latest page below:


And then I bumped up with some frustration. It's not the first time. I love line. I love drawing it. But my drawings BEG for color or washes. I'd bought this wonderful graphic novel called This One Summer, by Jillian and Mariko Tamaki. Everything is delicious about this book. The story, the line, the values!


So, I thought I'd try my hand at adding washes and highlights to one of my pages, just to see how it'd look. I have a long way to go to become truly proficient, but it's a start...




No comments:

Post a Comment